After getting the latest version of TeamMentor (TM 3.3 RC3.01), I was experimenting a really annoying behavior. The problem was that the admin credentials provided to login into TM sometimes worked and some times didn’t.
Yeah, I was under the impression that I might be providing wrong credentials, therefore I copied those credentials in a notepad window and I copied and pasted them in the html form fields. Since I was not able to find a pattern for this sporadic situation, I decided to capture the traffic with Fiddler and I tried to compare both Web Sessions, the one that failed and the one that worked.
I discover that Fiddler (with some help from third-party file compare tools like WinMerge), allows to compare both sessions.
So I was able to isolate those sessions :
And using Fiddler’s feature to compare Web Sessions:
And then both sessions are displayed in your default file compare tool, in my case I was using WinMerge.
Using this approach I was at least able to make sure I was using the same credentials and that the error was not related to a wrong credentials.
It did not solve the problem but I realize it’s a really useful tool.
The problem was resolved once I followed Dinis recommendation : removing UserData folder and letting the process to create it again.